Sectional Championship Game Update
- The IHSA has canceled the remainder of the 2019-20 season.
- Pre-sold tickets are no longer valid and should be returned for a refund at the Patriot Superstore.
Cut/No-Cut Sport? Cut sport
Levels: Varsity / Junior Varsity / Sophomore / Sophomore B / Freshman A1 / Freshman A2 / Freshman B
Head Coach: Pat Ambrose (email@example.com)
Varsity Assistant Coaches: Jack Zimmerman, Paul Swan, Grant VanderArk, Chandler Simon
Sophomore Coaches: Nate Gustin, Steve Wood
Freshman Coach: Kevin Gimre
Freshman Assistant Coaches: Griffin Dwyer, Floyd Glinsey Sr.
Pat Ambrose is the winningest coach in Stevenson history, and has guided the Patriots to the IHSA state finals four times, and won the Class 4A state championship in 2015. His career record is 423-166 (.718), and in the past five seasons Ambrose-coached squads have posted a 182-39 record (.824). He has never had a losing season. His accomplishments include:
- 2015 IHSA Class 4A State Champion
- 2014 IHSA 3rd Place in State
- 2013 IHSA 2nd Place in State
- 2007 IHSA 4th Place in State
- 4 IHSA Supersectional Championships
- 5 IHSA Sectional Championships
- 8 IHSA Regional Championships
- 7 North Suburban Conference Championships
- 2015-2016 IBCA Coach of the Year
- 2013-2014 IBCA Coach of the Year
- 2012-2013 IBCA Coach of the Year
- 2002-2003 Pioneer Press Coach of the Year
Prior to joining Stevenson, Ambrose was an assistant coach at Proviso West and Hoffman Estates high schools.
As a player Ambrose played four seasons at Augustana College. In high school he was an all-conference and all-area player at Naperville North. In 2013 he was inducted into the Naperville North Hall of Fame.
Ambrose teaches in Stevenson’s Social Studies Division.
2019-20 Tryout Date: Nov. 11
Tryout Information Meetings
- Freshman boys interested in trying out for basketball are invited to attend an informational meeting at 8 a.m. Monday, Oct. 21 in Room 8048. The meeting will provide information and expectations for tryouts, and for the upcoming season. Contact Coach Gimre at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to attend, or with questions.
- The sophomore boys basketball informational meeting takes place at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 29 in the Field House. If you cannot attend, please contact Coach Gustin at email@example.com.
- Players who want to try out for the varsity boys basketball team should email Coach Ambrose at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stevenson Boys Basketball Team Championships
IHSA State Championships (1)
IHSA State Finals Appearances (5)
1992, 2007 (4th), 2013 (2nd), 2014 (3rd), 2015 (1st)
IHSA Supersectional Championships (5)
1992, 2007, 2013, 2014, 2015
IHSA Sectional Championships (6)
1992, 2007, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2019
IHSA Regional Championships (13)
1980, 1991, 1992, 1993, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019, 2020
North Suburban Conference Championships (12)
1977, 1980, 1991, 1992, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
North Suburban Conference Lake Division Championships (7)
2003, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
SHS Boys Basketball Season SummariesSeason results as reported on the IHSA website
|1976-77||14-10||Bill Ebenezer||NSC champion|
|1979-80||22-7||Bill Ebenezer||IHSA AA regional champion; NSC champion|
|1990-91||25-3||Ken Johnson||IHSA AA regional champion; NSC champion|
|1991-92||29-2||Ken Johnson||IHSA AA state qualifier; NSC champion|
|1992-93||18-10||Ken Johnson||IHSA AA regional champion|
|2002-03||17-10||Pat Ambrose||NSC Lake champion|
|2005-06||21-8||Pat Ambrose||IHSA AA regional champion|
|2006-07||27-7||Pat Ambrose||IHSA AA state finals - 4th|
|2007-08||19-8||Pat Ambrose||NSC Lake champion|
|2009-10||21-8||Pat Ambrose||IHSA 4A regional champion; NSC Lake champion|
|2012-13||29-5||Pat Ambrose||IHSA 4A state finals - 2nd; NSC champion|
|2013-14||32-2||Pat Ambrose||IHSA 4A state finals - 3rd; NSC champion|
|2014-15||30-3||Pat Ambrose||IHSA 4A state champion; NSC champion|
|2015-16||24-7||Pat Ambrose||IHSA 4A regional champion; NSC champion|
|2016-17||22-6||Pat Ambrose||NSC champion|
|2017-18||18-10||Pat Ambrose||NSC champion|
|2018-19||27-6||Pat Ambrose||IHSA 4A sectional, regional, NSC champion|
|All Time||840-607 (.581)|