At Stevenson, the Driver Education classroom is a requirement to graduate. The class does not have a fee, however, if you choose to take the driving portion (Behind the Wheel) of the coursework then a lab fee will apply. Freshman cannot take the classroom or driving portion of drivers education (regardless of age) until the summer between freshman and sophomore year.
Driving ONLY is also a possibility for transfer students who have already taken the classroom portion elsewhere. Arrangements might be possible, especially if 8th period is free.
*To enroll in Driver Education at Stevenson, request the course during scheduling or contact your counselor. The Driver Education team can assist with questions but can NOT enroll your student in the course.
Driver Education General Information:
- Student must be 15 years of age to get an Illinois permit.
- Student must hold Illinois permit for 9 months before getting drivers license.
- Student must be enrolled in driver education course to get Illinois permit.
- Freshmen (regardless of age) are ineligible to take driver education at SHS until summer between freshmen and sophomore years.
- If student drops driver education after receiving his/her permit. SHS instructors will cancel permit with the Illinois Secretary of State.
- When enrolled, SHS driver education instructors will contact students and/or parents prior to start of class to begin the permit process.
- For questions about enrolling in driver education, please contact your counselor.
- Don’t have a Social Security number but want to get a license? Read this document.