Note: The Communication Arts Division had not shared all award winners when this article was first published on May 7. This article has been updated to include students omitted during initial publication.
Fourteen students earned awards in the annual writing contest sponsored this spring by the Illinois Association of Teachers of English.
Three students were named winners in the prose category:
- Shayaan Shaik - “Different”
- Mikayla Varghese - “Realizations I Had at 2:00 A.M.”
- Sophia Xiao - “Wabi Sabi”
Three students were winners in the poetry category:
- Emily Molina - “The Right Words”
- Roxanne Monaghan - “What We Remember”
- Maire O'Brien - “An Interlude About Nothing”
Three students were runners-up in the prose category:
- Jennifer Gurtovaya - “41-12-34”
- Lily Jiang - “The First Check”
- Sowmya Venkatachalam - “Break the Diamond Cage”
Five students received honorable mention in the prose category:
- Shishir Bandapalli - “Freckled White Stars”
- Andrew D. Kim - “A Man With a Mask Walks Into a Bar”
- Brianna Liu - “The Walls Are Not Thick Enough”
- Bradley Locker - “Warning: This Essay is Biased”
- Jasmine Torres - “Beating Hearts”
All of the students are juniors except for Sowmya, who is a senior.