Updated July 2012
REFERENCE BOOKS: Look in R 600s.
Gale Virtual Reference Library - large collection of reference titles to search individually or altogether.
Salem Health - Genetics, Magill's Medical Guide, and Psychology and Mental Health.
BOOKS: Look at reserve pulled for diseases.
Other books, find through the Online Book Catalog
EBSCOhost - Select MasUltra, Masterfile Premier, Health Source, Newspaper Source, and Science Reference Center.
Science in Context - reference, magazines, academic periodicals and websites from Gale.
Newsbank - Use Science Source Collectionfor newspaper and magazine articles
Proquest - Use Platinum Periodicals and Proquest Newspapers
Image Quest - free images from Britannica without copyright restrictions. All images contain MLA citations.
HEALTH and MEDICINE INTERNET SITES:
- United States National Library of Medicine National Library of Medicine's access to professional medical databases at no charge, from the National Institutes of Health.
- National Institutes of Health Main web site from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- PubMed A searchable database of articles from Medline and other life science journals provided by the National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health.
- Merck Online Medical Library Includes a Searchable version of the Merck medical manual which has information on diseases.
- NORD The National Organization of Rare Diseases, a clearinghouse for the government, provides a searchable database of sites providing information on thousands of rare diseases and disorders, including genetic diseases.
- Mayo Clinic Provides information on health and medicine, a separate searchable database on "Diseases and Conditions A-Z", and other medical resources.