Graduation Speaker Information
April 2, 2013
Student Activities Office
Traditionally, there have been 2 three-five minute student speeches at Adlai E. Stevenson High School’s graduation:
1) The "Scriptor" speech. The purpose of this speech is to give the graduating seniors the opportunity to look back at their years of education up to their graduation. Reflections on the experiences of students from kindergarten through high school, common experiences, and life lessons are typically mentioned in this speech.
2) The "Gubernator" speech. The purpose of this speech is to give graduating seniors the opportunity to look ahead. This forward looking speech focuses on the challenges and opportunities ahead.
(STUDENTS MAY ONLY APPLY AND SUBMIT FOR ONE SPEECH OR THE OTHER.)
1) The applicants must be a senior.
2) The applicant must be in good academic and disciplinary standing.
3) The applicant must be able to demonstrate active participation in co-curricular activities.
4) The applicant must be able to demonstrate personal accomplishments, including community service and/or leadership.
1) Completed application form, including community service activity form and leadership activity form.
2) Three letters of recommendation; two addressing your academic accomplishments, one addressing your co-curricular involvement in community service and/or leadership.
3) Typed manuscript of the three to five minute "Scriptor" or "Gubenator" speech.
4) Video recording of your speech.
Partial applications will not be considered
1) The Director of Student Activities facilitates the selection process.
2) The Student Commencement Speaker Advisory Board is composed of faculty members and two members of the current graduating class; students not applying for this honor.
3) The Advisory Board reviews all applications and selects finalists. Finalists interview and are asked to present their address as they would at the Commencement Ceremony.
4) Final recommendations will be made by mid-May.
5) Students agree to practice the speech with speech teachers during the last weeks of May.
6) Final speeches will be delivered to the Administrative Team for final review and revision during the last week of May.
7) The final revised manuscript is due to the Principal three days before graduation.
For more information contact Mr. Goergen at (847) 415-4461 or email email@example.com