As a comprehensive high school, Adlai E. Stevenson High School offers a wide range of course selection for our students. The courses a student selects in high school can significantly affect his or her options for the future. The district’s educational program is designed to enable each student to develop to his or her maximum potential. The objectives for the educational program include helping each student to:
• become a productive and responsible citizen
• develop the fundamental skills essential to self-directed lifelong learning
• make appropriate educational and career plans
• learn and apply strategies for logical problem solving and decision making
• develop self-discipline and a sense of personal responsibility for his or her learning, decisions, and actions
• demonstrate consideration and respect for others
• make choices consistent with a healthy lifestyle
• demonstrate the ability to work well with others
• use technology effectively
Students must take responsibility for making informed choices, paving the pathway to success in high school and in life. It is our goal to help our students make informed and wise decisions regarding their high school program. In keeping with that goal, we expect students to:
• accept responsibility for their learning, decisions and actions;
• invest their best effort in academic and co-curricular activities;
• treat the staff and each other with consideration and respect;
• conduct themselves in a way that contributes to a safe and orderly atmosphere and ensures the rights of others.
Our counselors play an important role in students' selection of courses. Not only can the counselor offer advice on Stevenson’s courses, he or she also can assist students in using the College/Career Center to obtain the most current information on careers and colleges across the United States. It is important to emphasize, however, that while counselors are available to assist students in their course selection, the final responsibility for this selection rests with the student and parents. We urge students to play an active role in this important task, and we are ready to assist them in whatever way we can.
Students should use our website for access to detailed information about each division and its course offerings. We also encourage students to seek additional information about specific courses from their teachers, counselor, or the content-area directors. Ask the teacher to provide a copy of the course description and any other pertinent information about a class. Make arrangements to visit the class during study hall or free period. As students work with their counselor to develop or review their four-year plan, they should discuss their tentative course selections and review past academic performance.
The Board of Education and staff of Stevenson High School are committed to making Stevenson an exemplary school. The Board policy entitled "Vision Statement for Adlai E. Stevenson High School
" gives a detailed description of the type of school Stevenson strives to be. We encourage you to read that policy. Every student is expected to contribute to make Stevenson an exemplary learning community.