October 3, 2012
Stevenson High School is sponsoring a free community wellness event from 1-5 p.m. Sunday, October 21 at the school. "Well, Well, Well: Everybody’s Got Something" will take place in the West Building Forum. Anyone attending should park in lot B.
The event will feature dozens of health care providers and vendors who will be on hand to provide information, guidance and, in some cases, free screenings. The first 1,000 people in attendance will be eligible for a free flu shot, courtesy of Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville. The event is sponsored in part by the Stevenson High School Foundation.
"The philosophy behind this event is not so much prevention — although there is certainly that aspect to it — but more of a focus on managing the health issues that we all struggle with," said SHS Nurse Peg Cucci. "Everybody really does have something they’re dealing with, either with themselves or someone they know. We’re bringing all of these health care professionals in to offer assistance."
Free screening for sleep apnea and blood pressure will be available, and there will be a physician who can address questions about asthma and allergies. There also will be demonstrations of the new preferred CPR technique, which focuses on chest compression over mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
Other offerings include representatives from organizations who can offer advice to those with family members suffering from mental illness or substance abuse, and to those trying to do long-range financial planning to ensure the proper care of disabled family members.
"We have received so much positive response from health care providers and vendors that the Forum is going to be filled," Cucci said. "We really can’t accept any more at this point, which is a nice problem to have."
Here is a partial list of what will be available at the event:
• Bike safety, fire prevention and yoga demonstrations
• Weight-loss and nutritional guidance (with samples of healthy food)
• Message therapy
• Medic Alert jewelry bracelets
• Exercise and medical equipment vendors
In addition, representatives of the following organizations will be on hand:
• American Academy of Asthma, Allergy and Immunology
• Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
• Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America
• Epilepsy Foundation
• National Alliance on Mental Illness
• American Dental Association
• Advocate Condell Medical Center
• Robert Crown Center for Health Education
• Chiro One Wellness Center
• Lake County Health Department
• Protected Tomorrows
• Lincolnshire-Riverwoods Fire Protection District
• Lincolnshire Police Department