Bus Stop Schedule 2012-13 (PDF)
When a bus fails to arrive or make a scheduled stop, please call the dispatcher at First Student Bus Company at 847-634-0868. During the morning hours, the dispatcher is the only person who can answer your questions.
Bus Information for the Regular Academic Year (August-June)
Bus service is provided for all students who attend Stevenson High School. There is no charge for this service.
All Stevenson students must possess their current student identification card with the correct bus number in order to board the bus. On late arrival days, buses begin their routes at 9:20 a.m
Monday through Friday, late buses leave the Forum entrance off parking lot B at 6:30 p.m. One bus goes east and one goes west. On Wednesdays and Thursdays, buses also leave the Forum entrance at 4:30 p.m. The route each bus will take is determined by the destinations of the students riding.
Bus route numbers are displayed in the front window of each bus. This number is not the same number painted on the top or back of the bus. Route numbers will always remain the same; buses may change. All schedules are based on route numbers.
Stevenson High School covers most of Vernon Township and more than one-third of Ela Township. Therefore, some bus runs are 10 to 15 miles long and require from 30 to 45 minutes to reach school. To cover this distance as quickly as possible, only a limited number of stops can be made. Bus drivers establish these stops during the first day of school, depending on the number of students concentrated along the route. This is why the bus cannot stop at every house or at every intersection, and why students are required to walk to certain points along the bus route. By law, a high school student may be required to walk up to one-and-one-half miles to reach school or a bus stop. Stevenson bus runs come within a half-mile of nearly every student's house.
Rules and Procedures for Bus Riders
Bus drivers are responsible for the lives of all students on their buses and will not be required to transport any individual who is a disciplinary problem. If a student's behavior is not acceptable, the privilege of riding the bus will be withdrawn and it then becomes the responsibility of the parent to transport the student. School bus riders, while in transit, are under the jurisdiction of the school bus driver.
- Be on time at the designated school bus stop; help keep the bus on schedule.
- Stay well off the roadway at all times while waiting the arrival of the bus.
- Do not move toward the bus until the bus has been brought to a complete stop. Be careful in approaching the place where the bus will stop. When entering the bus, use the hand rail and move quickly to your seat.
- Do not leave your seat, stand up or kneel in your seat while the bus is in motion.
- Be alert for a danger signal from the driver. He or she is in complete command of the bus.
- Remain in the bus in the event of a road emergency until instructions are given by the driver.
- Keep your hands and arms inside the bus at all times. Never throw things out the windows. Students are not permitted to lower or raise bus windows.
- Avoid loud talking, laughing or unnecessary confusion which can avert the driver's attention and result in a serious accident.
- Profanity will not be tolerated.
- No smoking is permitted on the bus by the driver or student driver.
- No additional bus stops are permitted. Do not ask the bus driver to stop at places other than the regular bus stop; he is not permitted to do this except by proper authorization from a school official.
- Observe safety precautions at all discharge points. Where it is necessary to cross a two-lane highway only, proceed to a point at least 10 feet in front of the bus on the right shoulder of the highway where traffic may be observed in both directions. Then wait for a signal from the bus driver permitting you to cross safely.
- A SHS student may request to ride an alternate bus. This request must be made in advance in any Student Services Office. Written or phone verification from a parent/guardian is required.